Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island
King Yin Lei
King Yin Lei is a rare surviving example of Chinese Renaissance style that reflected the design and construction excellence in both Chinese and Western architecture of Hong Kong. The "East-meets-West" construction methods have made the building a rarity in Hong Kong and an outstanding piece of art.
Originally named “Hei Lo”, King Yin Lei was built in around 1937 with Mrs. Shum Li Po-lun as the first owner. Her husband, Mr. Shum Yat-chor, was a notable merchant and philanthropist in Xinhui of Guangdong province. The building was designed by the Office of A.R.F. Raven. It was sold in 1978 to the Yow family - Mr. Yeo (Yow) Chei-man and his son Mr. Yow Mok-shing, who
renamed the building as "King Yin Lei".
The building is important in signifying the historical development of Hong Kong. As one of the luxurious historic houses located along the hillside of Hong Kong Island, the building reflects the rising status and growing wealth of the Chinese community in Hong Kong. It also represents an earlier phase of Hong Kong history when the upper-class residential area took shape in
The facade of the building has been a popular spot for taking photographs by visitors. The social value of the building also lies in the role it played in the film heritage and entertainment industry of Hong Kong. The mansion has been featured in films of international renown such as "Soldier of Fortune" (1955) and a locally produced television series "Delightful Dream of
the Capital" (1980). These examples reflect the high scenic character of the site.
The building was sold to its last owner in August 2007, and works to remove the roof tiles, stone features and window frames were noticed on site in early September 2007. Full restoration of Kin Yin Lei commenced in September 2008 and was completed in December 2010.